OUR MOST RECEOMMENDED
There’s so much you can read, watch, or listen to out there, it can be tricky to know where to start or what to trust. To help, we commend these carefully-chosen articles, podcasts, books, and talks as a great place to start in your effort to think faithfully and think well—about whatever the topic may be.
Thinking Well About…
- The Problem of Evil (video) – The Thomistic Institute: A great summary of one of the Church’s classic definitions of and responses to evil.
- Tsunami and Theodicy (article) – David Bentley Hart: Can we explain or justify evil? Should we?
- What’s Wrong with the World? (video) – N. T. Wright: How do we make sense of a world where good and evil exist?
- When a Daughter Dies (article) – Ben Witherington
- Are Old Testament Laws Evil (article) – Paul Copan
- Free Will and the Problem of Evil (podcast) – N. T. Wright
- With All This Suffering, How Could There be a God? (video) – Tim Keller
- What to Do with your Sexual Needs: Authentic Sexual Freedom (video) – Christopher West
- Richard Hays’s chapter “Homosexuality” from The Moral Vision of the New Testament
- This link should allow you to read the chapter without buying the book—but then you should buy the book! It’s great.
- 10 Things You Should Know about the Sexual Revolution (article) – Carl R. Truman: A historian of ideas traces the roots of our modern way of thinking about sexuality.
- The Controversial Jesus: Jesus and the Gay Community (podcast) – Jon Tyson
- Click here for podcast notes (Some friends of ours made this condensed transcript—it may help to follow along or take notes.)
- The Controversial Jesus: Jesus and the Trans Community(podcast) – Jon Tyson
- Click here for podcast notes (Soe friends of ours made this condensed transcript—it may help to follow along or take notes.)
- Human Dignity and the Problem with Pornography (video) – Christopher West and Matt Frad
- Pornography & Acedia (article) – Reinhard Hütter: A spiritual analysis of and remedy for, in the Biblical phrase, “the lust of the eyes”
- The Pornography Culture (article) – David Bentley Hart
- Porn & the Curse of Total Sexual Freedom (video) – Bishop Robert Barron
- “God vs. Science” (article) – TIME Magazine interview with Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins
- The Thomistic Institute’s Science and Faith series of videos
- This series of videos explores everything from miracles to quantum mechanics, all guided by the wisdom and writings of St. Thomas Aquinas.
- It also includes a great exploration of the relationship between faith and reason in general.
- “Is Science Opposed to Faith?” (video) – Bishop Robert Barron
- “Science & Genesis” (video) – N. T Wright (Biblical scholar), John Polkinghorne (physicist & pastor), and Alister McGrath (philosopher)
- “The Limits of Method” (article) – David Bentley Hart (hilariously) pointing out the limits of scientific methodology: what kinds of questions it can and cannot answer
- Where the Conflict Really Lies (book) – Alvin Plantinga
- The Tech-Wise Church (video) – Andy Crouch: author of The Tech-Wise Family (which is phenomenal) examines how the formational institutions of the family, the church, and the school can think with greater care and wisdom about technology
- Godspeed (documentary) – Matt & Julie Canlis: A beautiful reflection on the pace at which life, ministry, friendships, and relationship with God flourishes.
- Habits of Mind in an Age of Distraction (article) – Alan Jacobs: Small steps to meet the challenge of hearing God in a technologically distracting environment
- The Case for Digital Asceticism (video) – John Mark Comer
- The Social Dilemma (documentary) – This Netflix doc explores the alarming realities behind the engineering of social media
- Apple Watch: To Wear It Like a Man, or Like a God? (article) – Andy Crouch: What do we want when we want the latest technology?